On a recent trip to the US, my first stop was of course Target. In usual fashion, I spent hours, perusing the aisles, buying a number of things I probably didn’t need. Not surprisingly, I spent the most time in the the seasonal holiday area stocking up an all things Valentine’s Day.
In the endless section of candy, I came across what I think may be the best invention of 2017. Vanilla cupcake Hershey Kisses! Say what…white chocolate kisses with little pieces of crunchy candies inside that melt in your mouth and taste like cupcakes. Absolutely genius in my opinion!
On the packaging, there was a recipe I had to try with the kids. The result were not only tasty, but they turned out super cute so I had to share:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Decorating sugars
- 48 Hershey Kisses Cupcake Flavored Candies
- 1/2 cup vanilla frosting (pre-made or your favorite homemade recipe)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter, shortening and sugar until well blended.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually beat into butter mixture.
- Divide dough into 48 equal balls (about one inch in diameter).
- Roll balls in desired decorating sugars and place on a greased cookie sheet. Gently press thumb into ball forming an indentation.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until cookies are set.
- Cool slightly and move from the pan to a wire rack.
- Once cooled put a bit of frosting in the indentation and press the candy piece into each cookie.
- Serve and enjoy!
This recipe was a hit at our house and the perfect cookie for a Valentine’s day party, classroom treat or addition to a birthday party menu. Its easy to get the kids involved with helping with them too. My son enjoyed placing the kisses on top once frosted. And note, if you can’t track down these special cupcake kisses, a piece of white chocolate candy would also work great.
Finally, if you are more a milk chocolate person, make sure to check out my 4-ingredient peanut butter kiss cookies, also oh so good for celebrating this holiday.