Recently we were attending a holiday potluck, and I wanted to bring a festive, kid-friendly dessert. I had also heard that Kellogg’s had a campaign running over the holidays called “Treats for Toys”. The basis was that you could create a treat with your child, post a picture of it, and each photo shared would result in Kellogg’s donating a toy to the Salvation Army. Of course, I love a good cause, and I knew my son would really enjoy creating something.
With some inspiration from the Internet, we decided on a version of the Santa rice krispie treat. It was such a fun activity to do together, so I thought I would pass along the instructions and results.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 5 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- White Chocolate Candy Melts
- Red Sprinkles
- Shredded Coconut
- White Candy Eyes
- White Candy Balls
- Red Candy Hearts
- 4″ Circle Cookie Cutter
- Make a batch of rice krispie squares. In a large saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Add marshmallows; stir until melted and well-blended. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and add cereal, stirring until coated. Press the mixture into a buttered 13″ x 9″ pan. Place in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Take pan out of the fridge and using your cookie cutter, cut out several rice krispie circles. With a single batch, you will get about 7 circles.
- Melt your candy melts in the microwave or on the oven until they are completely melted. Dip the top quarter of the circle into the vanilla coating. Turn it around and dip the bottom quarter as well. Place the dipped circle on a piece of parchment.
- Before the candy coating dries, sprinkle the shredded coconut on the bottom to represent the beard and red sprinkles to the top, leaving a small amount of white showing below to represent the hat. Add a small white candy ball to the right corner of the hat.
- Using a toothpick or stir stick, add a small amount of melted candy to the middle of the circle. Place the eyes on top and the heart upside down just below to complete Santa’s face.
- Share and enjoy!